Sunday 16 September 2012

Haul & Review: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick

I found out by accident at Walmart that they are having an Anniversary Sale from Sept. 14 - 20 while I was looking through the makeup section.  At my store there was a great deal on Revlon Super Lustrous Lipsticks for $3.88 each.  I already own 5 of them and enjoy them, so I thought for almost half the price, why not try some other colours?

I got 5 new colours in the Creme finish (I know I know... what's up with me and all my cream finishes.  I like glitter sometimes too! But I was afraid of getting something too frosty...)

Here are some pictures:


The top row are the new colours that I got, and the bottom row are the ones I had.
The swatches are in the same order:



Top row L-R:
 680 Temptress, 637 Blushing Nude, 435 Love That Pink, 674 Coralberry 668 Primrose

Bottom row L-R: 415 Pink in the Afternoon, 683 Demure, 407 Rosedew, 240 Sandalwood Beige, 613 Just Enough Buff





Here are some pictures of them swatched on my lips:


Temptress: Slightly cool toned medium pink has a very slight silver sheen/shimmer.



Blushing Nude: Brownish red/pink visible small sparkles in the tube, but can't see it when it's swatched.  It's also slightly darker in real life than it is in this picture.



Love That Pink:  Bright deep electric pink with no shimmer or glitter whatsoever. Almost like an off-red.


Coralberry: Coral with a little bit of gold sheen/shimmer, nothing sparkly.


Primrose: Very cool toned baby pink. Almost like a pastel lilac.  This has no shimmer or glitter either.


Pink in the Afternoon: Nude neutral pink again with no glitter or shimmer.


Demure: Sheer nude coral colour. This one doesn't have as good as a colour pay off as the other ones.  It has a silver sheen/shimmer.  If you like sheer lipsticks like I do, you'll like this one.


Rosedew: This is the only one in the Pearl finish that I have.  It's also a light pinky coral with a silver sheen/shimmer as well as sparse gold chunky glitter.  The glitter can't be felt on the lips.


Sandalwood Beige:  Warm medium brown/orange shade that has no glitter or shimmer.


Just Enough Buff:  Sheer natural nude with tiny silver glitters.  Not as pigmented as the rest.


I'm kind of picky when it comes to lipsticks. I have very dry chapped lips so I tend to stay away from lipsticks that dry my lips out even more.  In the swatches my lips were smoother than they normally are from exfoliating them but I don't do that on a daily.  So on bad days, I tend to skip doing my lips altogether.

Pros:
  • Packaging: I really like the packaging of Revlon lipsticks in general but the Super Lustrous line is my favorite.  It is hard plastic with a clear top so you can see your lipstick from the top of the tube if you store them standing up. It also feels nice in your hand.  The way the lipstick twists up feels really smooth. 
  • Colour selection: Great range of colours to select from and displays usually have testers for all the colours so you can try them out before buying them.
  • Colour payoff: Most of them have great pay-off.  There's a few more sheer ones that  are perfect for people like me who aren't as bold with their lipstick choices or have slightly chapped lips that require a more sheer glossy formula.  Just try them on back of your hand or the tips of your fingers
  • Moisture/Dryness: These don't dry out my lips (more than they already are). The very creamy colours without glitter/shimmer do tend to crease into fine lines on the lips, but generally speaking they sit nicely on the lips (especially the less pigmented or decent pigmented ones).
  • Price: Regular price is around $8 - $11 dollars Canadian which is a good price for the quality of these lipsticks and the selection you get.  Of course it's even better if you get them on sale.  Since it is a drugstore product it does tend go on sale regularly. 
Cons:
  • Finishing: Offer creme and pearl but it's not completely accurate in my opinion... some are sheer, some frosty, some glittery it's not as descriptive as I would hope.
  • Lasting power: Like most lipsticks these don't last very long and requires reapplication throughout the day if you want to keep the colour. However, some of the darker colours do slightly stain the lips.
If you're in Canada check one of your local Wal-mart fliers and see if they have these on sale right now! These are some of the best lipsticks I own drugstore and high end.  Do you guys like any of these? What's your favorite drugstore lipstick?


No comments:

Post a Comment